Esports is a form of competition by using video games. The name is an abbreviation of the term electronic sport, other variations as e-sports, eSports etc. are also used.
Most commonly, esports are organized competitions where teams or individuals compete by playing video games predicted for a larger number of players.
Esports can be played via an Internet connection from any location and or by accessing a computer network on locations architectured for such events, such as estadiums, earenas etc.
Competitions can be of tournament or league types.
Like fire, video games and playing esports can be a good servant, but a bad master…
- Encourage improvement in concentration and cognitive abilities
- Develop reading and mathematical literacy
- Enable acquiring experience in a safe environment
- Improve motoric and spatial skills and visual data processing
- Facilitate adjustment to new situations
- Ease meeting new people and meeting new friends
- Teach teamwork
- Develop logic conclusion skills, decision making and problem solving
- Facilitate learning foreign languages
- Emphasize the importance of accuracy and precision
- Useful as aid for upbringing and education
- Help with recovery from physical and psychic trauma
- THEY ARE FUN!
- Playing too much can have a bad influence on health and result in video game addiction
- Not a substitute for physical activity
- Can lead to social isolation
- Increased exposure and potential habituation to violence
- Can lead to wrong or unrealistic expectations about real life